Happiness Doesn’t Happen Without YOU!
“I opened two gifts this morning. They were my eyes” ~ Zig Ziglar
There are days when I wake up with rocket fuel in my veins and I am ready to launch off the pad to conquer my day. But there are other days that can feel like I have no desire to launch.
Have you been there?
Happiness is a choice, and that takes practice. It is on us to own it and learn it. It is a mindset that takes discipline, training our thoughts on a daily basis. Are we on point every second of every day? Of course not.
If you notice yourself slipping into that negative thinking pattern, just thinking of one positive thing you have gratitude for can oftentimes cause even the tiniest shift and put you back on the rocket launching pad.
It is a given that life will throw you the sourest of lemons. But instead of those lemons souring your day, make the sweetest version of lemonade to empower your happiness.
Here are 7 simple steps to create and empower your happiness daily.
Thank the Universe…
1. The very first and most important step is as soon as you wake up and get out of bed, stand up and say “Thank you Universe. I am very grateful for your many blessings that you give me every day.”
When you declare your gratitude every morning it starts your day on a positive note. Love and honor yourself and others in your life. Be thankful for life itself and you will feel peace, joy and happiness.
Do not let anyone steal your happiness…
2. As you go through your day, never let anyone else’s negativity bring your down. Do not take it personally as it is usually not about you. They are reflecting their own negativity onto you. Instead of reacting, just smile and tell them you wish them a beautiful day. This way, you are keeping your happiness intact. Who knows, when you say positive words to them it could shift their thinking positively.
Take time to breathe…
3. The fast pace of life can make us feel hurried and cranky - we tend to cram as much as we can in a day. This can shift our thinking towards having a bad day.
When you notice this happening, it is your cue to step away for a bit and get yourself centered. You can do this by simply taking a walk in the park, sitting by a river or sitting quietly and doing breathing exercises.
Take deep breaths in and release. Repeat this a few times and you will be good to go. If you feel you need to take a longer time to get centered, then do so. You will know when you are back in alignment as you feel the tension melt into relaxation and have that sense of calm come over you.
Get in touch with something that makes you happy…
4. Every one of us has something that puts a smile on our face. It is that something or someone that inspires us. It could be a loved one, a workout, taking your dog for a walk, etc. Whatever it may be, just take in all the beauty around you and be present in that very moment.
Take a few minutes each night and journal all of your smile moments. When you feel down you can go to your journal and read your happy journal entries. This too will shift your thinking positively and put you back on your rocket launching pad.
A smile is very powerful…
5. This is such a simple task yet so freaking powerful: as you encounter people throughout your day, smile at them. You will be amazed that they will usually smile back at you. Smiling is contagious and it costs nothing.
We never know what others are going through in their life. By smiling at others you can totally shift them to a happy mood. It could be the best thing for you to do, not only for yourself but for them too!
Studies show that the physical act of smiling fires off chemicals in the brain that create the feeling of happiness.
Be around like-minded people…
6. When you are feeling down, often the last thing you feel like doing is being around others. Actually, surrounding yourself with people who are happy and can make you laugh is exactly what you need. These are people who love you and want to see you happy.
Bask in your happiness bubble…
7. Spend a few minutes each day thinking of all the parts of your life you are grateful for.
Ask yourself these questions:
What are you most proud of in your life?
What makes you smile?
Who and what are you thankful for in your life?
What experiences have enriched your life?
I do this while I am having coffee every morning in my studio.
It is nearly impossible to feel negative emotions such as stress and anger when we are in this grateful state of mind. The more you are grateful for, the more you will bask in it. There is nothing better than a gratitude bath.
In gratitude comes happiness…
For some of us happiness comes very naturally. For others it takes daily reminders and practice to be in the state of mind of happiness. There is no path to happiness. Happiness is a path. Be grateful for everything in your life.
Happiness is a choice! You can achieve this!
I choose happiness. How about you?
“Happiness is determined more by one’s state of mind than by external events.” ~ Dalai Lama
As I bite into my peppermint patty and it melts into the sip of coffee in my mouth, I experience the sensation of skyrocketing through the universe. I rest into the vastness of the galaxy as I feel the stars brush against my cheeks.